English Tutor with over 10+ years experience
- BA in English Language from UBC
- Teacher of English as a Second Language (TESL) Certificate
- Experience in tutoring/teaching regular reading and writing, regular BC High School English curriculum, test preparation (IELTS, TOEFL, SAT, LPI)
Write a review
Vancouver and Richmond
Lesson Types and Tutoring Fees
Tutoring Services and Experience
How are you? My name is AJ Yao and I have over 10 years of English tutoring and teaching experience. I am a University of British Columbia graduate with a Bachelor of Arts in the English Language (2007). As a result of my academic training, I have extensive knowledge about the technical side of the language such as grammar and syntax, as well as the composition and stylistic side of the language, having taken English literature courses in university. Besides this, I also have a Teacher of English as a Second Language (TESL) certificate, and I have taught ESL to both high school and adult ESL learners for years. Further, I have taught regular reading and writing, regular English courses, and provided SSAT, SAT and TOEFL preparation from elementary school to university students. Most recently, while completing my Master's degree, I was a Teaching Assistant in a Professional Communication Skills course.
***ENGLISH TUTORING SERVICES OFFERED***
- Grades 9 to 12 regular English
- Grade 10 & 12 English provincial preparation
- English as a Second Language (both written and speaking skills)
- Academic writing for high school and university courses
- English exam preparation (TOEFL, SAT, IELTS)
- Essay proofreading & editing (high school level or higher)
- Other services related to English language tutorial
First class (all levels): $20/hr
Grades 9 to university level or higher: $30/hr
I am available for one-on-one lessons, as well as up to a maximum of 3 people per lesson (discounted rate for groups).
***HOW and WHERE I TUTOR/TEACH***
During the first meeting, I get to know the strengths and areas of improvements of my student. I do this in order to determine a course of action that would work best for the success of my student. Then, I work with my student in a professional yet casual environment in order to achieve his or her desired goal. I prefer to tutor/teach at public locations such as libraries or coffee shops in Richmond and Vancouver areas. I only accept jobs in Vancouver with a minimum of 2 hour meetings.
If you have any questions, or would like to know more about the services I offer, feel free to contact me via e-mail or provide contact information and we can work out the specifics.
College and University:
IELTS, SAT, SSAT, TOEFL
TESL, English Teacher, BA in English,